In SSAS 2012 RC0 Dimensional, importing a model with dependencies using the DMX IMPORT statement does not import data source views from a backup made with SSAS 2005, 2008 or 2008 R2. Thus, the imported models cannot be processed and used. I tried with model exported from SSAS 2005 SP4 and SSAS 2008 R2 RTM. I successfully imported the same models in SSAS 2008 R2 RTM. Therefore, the problem must be in SSAS 2012 RC0. However, when I exported a model with dependencies from SQL 2012 RC0, I successfully imported it back to a new database in SQL 2012 RC0. This time also DSV was imported. it seems like import from earlier versions to 2012 RC0 has problems.
Export a model with dependencies example:
EXPORT MINING MODEL [AR2005]
Create a new database in SSAS 2012 RC0 using SSMS. Then use the DMX IMPORT command, like on this example:
However, there are quite a few workarounds:
- You can create a SSAS project with SSDT 2012 that includes only data sources and data source views and deploy it and then import mining models and structures backed up without dependencies.
- You can back up the SSAS 2005 / 2008 / 2008 R2 database and restore it on SSAS 2012.
- With SSMS, you can create an XMLA script for creating the complete database or any object in the database and then execute the script on SSAS 2012.
- You can open the SSAS 2005 / 2008 / 2008 R2 project in SSDT 2012 and deploy it on SSAS 2012.
- You can reverse-engineer an SSAS 2005 / 2008 / 2008 R2 database in SSDT 2012 to create a 2012 project and then deploy the project on SSAS 2012.
The bug is filed on http://connect.microsoft.com. Even with so many workarounds it would be nice if it would be resolved.